Monday, April 21, 2008

Do *not* piss off the surrealist artist

Having a tiny craving for Mexican food, we headed on downtown to a trendy, cleaned-up kinda place that advertised creative Mexican cuisine. Frida should have been cool. It should have had decent food. A place named after a famous surrealist should at least be inventive. Right? Am I taking crazy pills?

The first clue was the fact that my margarita was poured out of a slushy machine. They didn't even make it? Tequila, orange flavored booze, lime, salt- DONE. Its not like I ordered the poma-tini with a twist of green tea flavored granita. Holy crap, a slushy machine?? Maybe it would be good, maybe they have a secret surrealist painter recipe. Nope. It was too sweet and too watered down. Perfect for half off specials and 'girls night' drunk fests, maybe the top shelf ones are actually made by real people.

The guacamole was just fine, and the usual chips and salsa were fine too. But the entrees....Drew had the seafood enchiladas with a creamy red pepper sauce and cheese. I had the mixed plate- pulled pork taco, cheese quesadilla, chicken enchilada with ranchera sauce.

Another bad sign: Upon seeing Drew's food, I asked if he ordered cheese whiz.

We actually split everything hoping that we wouldn't miss anything good. My pulled pork taco was dry on one side, and fell apart with moisture on the other. How can you mess up a cheese quesadilla? It was fine. The chicken enchilada was not too dry or too wet, it was just fine and exactly like any other one I've had. Drew's seafood enchiladas were odd in that we cannot identify a single bit of seafood in the dish. We are pretty sure it was there, but who knows what it was. The 'cheese whiz' looking sauce quickly dried and thickened into a gelatinous mess of off putting cheese/whatever. It tasted like cheese and fat, basically.

Overall, no thanks. If I wanted the same old tacos and fajitas with my large crappy margarita I can go to any number of places that are cheaper, there is no wait, and they have sombreros hanging on the walls. There is plenty of room for that, I'm more mad at Frida because I was hoping for creative, at least one or two things that were unique and/or high quality. I couldn't even discern a regional theme. Frida did have some revenge on us later that evening however, perhaps her spirit visits fire upon those who eat in the crappy restaurant that bears her name.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Cheez Whiz, is there any finer example of technology gone awry than dairy product in a spray can?